Teaching Integrated Skills


Experience
(A personal recount)
Pre-Activity
Warming up: Read the comic strip and practice the conversation with your friend.

Ask students:
-         What is it tell about?
-         Have you ever been done the same?
-         What other activities that can you do in the weekend?
Tell the students that today they are going to discuss about “experience”.




Main Activities
Reading Activity
Read the following text. Then, answer the following question.
I think my first memories began when I started school at about five years old. I lived in a suburb of Sydney. I had a happy childhood. I remember playing in a big garden. I fell from a big tree and broke my hand. I remember I had a naughty friend named Giant-O, because he was fat. He liked hitting and pulling my head. It was so pathetic. One day, I hit him over the head with my bag. His parents were very angry with me. But I didn’t feel sorry at all at that time. Nevertheless, since then Giant-O has become my good friend. It was such an unforgettable childhood.
(Adapted from: Kernel Three)
Comprehension Question
Find out:
a.      TRUE or FALSE (are these statement true or false?)
1.       (___) When she was a child she fell from a tree and broke her head.
2.      (___) She was living outside Sydney when she was a child.
3.      (___) The teacher was very angry with the boy because he hit her.

b.      Find the words or phrases in the text as defined below.
1.       What we remember
2.      Part of a town or city not near the center.
3.      The time when you were a child.

c.       Answer the following question.
1.       What happen when she fell from the tree?
2.      How did she hit him over the head?
3.      What did her friend used to do?
4.      When did she start school?

Vocabulary and Pronunciation Building
Listen and Repeat.
Cannery  /kænεrI/
Orchard  /’э:t∫εd/
Quay   /ki:/
Apiary  /eIpiεrI/
Hatchery  /hæt∫εrI/
Resort  /ri’zэ:t /
Bakery  /’beIkεrI/
Dockyard  /dþkjα:d/
Vineyard  /’vInjεd/
Cemetery  /’semεtri/

Fill in the blanks with the above word.
1.       The ______ is where you can see goods being loaded and unloaded from ships.
2.      Our teacher is taking us to the _____ where eggs are hatched artificially.
3.      The farmers grow grapes in a _____.
4.      It is interesting to see how food is canned in a _____.
5.      An _____ is the place where bees are kept.
6.      Sally is taking sick leave. She is staying in a ­­­­_____ for her recovery.
7.      A _____ sells bread, cakes, cookies and pastries.
8.      A place where people grow apples or orange is called an ______.
9.      The ship is being repaired in the ______.
10.   Dead bodies are buried in a ______.

Grammar Exercises
Try this! Complete this text using the appropriate pronouns.
Kiran Hasto was born in Mojogedang on April 1st , 1930. (1) ___ was educated at State Senior High School 37, Mojogedang and continued (2) ___ study at the Diponegoro University, Semarang. (3) ___ left the university in 1952 with a second class honors degree in chemistry. Toward the end of that year (4) ___ applied for a job and obtained a post as a junior research chemist in a large pharmaceutical firm. In 1954, (5) ___ met his future wife, Aniswati, at a seminar and in 1955 (6) ___ got married. (7) ___ now live in Bogor suburb and have two children.

Writing Activity
Have you ever blushed because of something embarrassing?
 Share your most embarrassing moment in your life by writing down in a paragraph.

Speaking Activity
Work in pairs. Complete these conversations with the expression of “remember/forget”. Practice the conversation with your friends in front of the class.
1.       In a classroom
Teacher    : Good morning, everybody!
Students   : __________________
Teacher    : Do you bring your dictionaries with you today?
Student 1  : I’m sorry sir, _______________________
Teacher    : And you? ____________________ it, either?
Student 2  : I do, sir. I bring mine. __________________ what you told us last week.
2.      It was Sunday morning, Wati got dressed and had breakfast quickly. She was ready to leave for school. Her mother was a little puzzled.
Mother      : Hey…hey… are you going to school?
Wati          : Yes, Mom. I overslept. I’m in hurry.
Mother      : ________________________
Wati          : Oh, my goodness. I thought it’s a school day.

Post-Activity
Dictation Game
Instruction :
1.       Select a dialogue or short story from the lesson
2.      Have each student work with a partner
3.      One student reads the dialogue or short story
4.      The other student writes it down
5.      The first team to finish it correctly wins.
Notes :
Writers should not look at the text. Readers can look at what writers are writing.
Text
Slobber On The Train
One day, I was on the train on my way home from my grandmother’s place. I had spent the day there and I was very tired. I tried to stay awaked, but didn’t succeed. After sometime, my eyelids started to feel very heavy. Before I knew it, I was slobbering. Startled, I awoke to find two beautiful girls who were sitting in front of me giggling and watchingme. I was mortified!

0 comments:

Post a Comment