Final Project “Teaching English as a Foreign Language for Teachers in Indonesia” Fitria Ningsih/100221400412



Someday, when I graduate from this university and become an English teacher, I choose to teach elementary school students. My basic reason why I choose elementary school, it is because the material in teaching English for elementary school students is easier than junior high school or senior high school. Besides, I like teaching the children. Therefore, I want to teach English for young learners, especially for elementary school students.
I have some strength in teaching. I think I am good in drawing pictures. Therefore, when I teach my students, I will not give much explanation material, yet I will explore my skill in drawing. For example, I will teach them by using picture, or give illustration material by drawing, so the students will not get bored. On the other hand, some of my friends said that I am a friendly and patient person. Thus, I am appropriate if I teach elementary school students. As I know, it is needed patience while we teach them, because most of elementary students like activities or movement, asking some questions, and they are difficult enough to teach. Unlike those my abilities, I have some weaknesses in teaching. I am not good in singing or creating songs. I may not give many activities that related to singing. In addition, I am not good in acting. Therefore, I may not give activity like making drama or another activity that related to acting. However, I can give other activities, such as playing games, individual or pair work, group discussion and many others.
Then, it is about my belief in teaching. In this case, belief means what method that I will use in teaching and learning process. I think eclectic method is the correct one to be applied in elementary school students. It is because eclectic method is an alternative method to solve the weaknesses of other methods include of cognitive method, reading method, and other methods. Besides, eclectic method is the most appropriate and useful part of existing methods. Therefore, I believe using this method in teaching elementary school students. 
Talking about my principal in teaching English, since the students have mastery of a first language and can read and write already, I can teach them listening, speaking, reading, and writing. Thus, I will combine those language skills in teaching and learning process. On the other hand, I may also teach the language components include of grammatical structure, pronunciation, and vocabulary items. After that, the technique that is related to my principal in teaching English, I am going to integrate two or more skills or components like my friends and I have learned in the class before. I would like to implement an integrated teaching plan starting from pre-activity and followed by the other activities. Therefore, the students can learn both language skill and component together.
From those kinds of learning models that I have learned from TEFL, I will apply some models in the teaching and learning process. I think contextual approach is appropriate for elementary school students. It is related to the characteristics of young learners that they have some world knowledge in their environment. Besides, as a teacher who teaches young learners is needed to create supporting environment, like buying or making charts, pictures, and put them in the classroom. On the other hand, I also want to apply cooperative learning, because young learners like vary activities include of individual work, pair work, or group work; seat work or walk-around work. However, if possible I want to try all the models of teaching and learning approaches that I have learned from TEFL.
In teaching and learning process, actually I need some facilities. In addition, one of the facilities that should be provided in the school is computer. As I know, just a few elementary schools provide that facility. Otherwise, if possible the school should provide LCD projector.  I need that facility to show everything to the students, so that they do not need to write anything and it will more efficient. Moreover, I need to show some videos or pictures to make the lesson are more interesting and student will not get bored. In this case, my friends and I have learned how to teach young learners by using that media. As a result, I would like to apply it when I teach my students someday. Furthermore, I think it will be better if there is Internet connection. It is because those kinds of facilities are helpful in teaching and learning process.
From the instructional strategies that I have learned, I choose one that I believe in. I think learning style is better one. It is because my object is elementary school students and it is an appropriate one for them. Actually, learning styles are of three kinds that are visual, auditory and kinesthetic. As I know, young learners like movement and it is one of the characteristics of kinesthetic learners. Besides, elementary school students are also the characteristics of learners with visual and auditory learning styles. They like learning by using all senses: see, hear, touch, and experience. Moreover, elementary school students have different learning styles, so I should know these different styles of my students.   That is why I believe in learning styles. However, if possible I want to try all of the strategies, because I want to have a class in different atmosphere.

0 comments:

Post a Comment