ESSAY IELTS

Can Cellphone be Educational Tools?
By Fitria Ningsih

By the rapid developed technology, using cellphones has become daily needs for some people, especially smartphones. There is statement which says, “Don’t let your smartphone be smarter than you.”  It means that we have to utilize our smartphones as smart as we can. Then how can it be?
 In the educational context, in my point of view, using cellphones, especially smartphones, is so useful. Both teachers and learners can utilize the smartphones as media to support the teaching and learning activities. For teachers, using cellphones can help them get information needed easily. By connecting to the internet, teachers only need to type the keywords of sources they intend to get then they can find or even download it easily without using computer or laptop. For example, when I taught in elementary school, I had to teach English Club. I often used my cellphone to find kind of English songs to support the teaching and learning activity. After it had been downloaded, I only needed to open the media player provided in my cellphone and it was more efficient than using computer.  
Besides, for students, I believe that cellphones are as significant as teachers’ needs. When the teachers give material which does not exist in the book, students can utilize search engines to look for the material easily. Moreover, the installed applications inside their cellphones, such as dictionary, TOEFL preparation, and other educational applications are helpful as well. For instance, I once asked my students the meaning of “generous”, unfortunately they did not know what the meaning was. Then I asked them to open the installed dictionary on their cellphones and it was only in short time they had already known the meaning. While if it is compared to the printed dictionary, they have to find the word by each letter and it spends a lot of time.    

To sum up, cellphones can be truly beneficial educational tools. Both teacher and students can utilize cellphones as media which can support the teaching and learning activity.

0 comments:

Post a Comment